Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to All You Need Is Morrissey.com. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting in topics, customising your profile, sending personal messages and voting in polls.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Works with real e-mail address.
Click here to join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Morrissey Song Game
Topic Started: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 22:27:42 (419 Views)
DAVIE
Member Avatar

Okay. Here it goes.

The game is completely interpretational and can include both Smiths and Morrissey songs. I shall start by naming two songs. Another person answers which song he or she likes the most and then puts up two other songs for someone to answer. Think of it as a Morrissey songs Top Trumps.

Here's an example:

Hand in Glove vs Billy Budd

Hand in Glove

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's my next one for you

Bengali in Platforms vs Spent The Day In Bed
Edited by DAVIE, Sun 24 Jun 2018, 22:34:54.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Much as I think Viva Hate is and remains the pinnacle of Morrisseys work, I also believe it was more of an album, something to be listened to in its entirety therefore, reluctantly I chose Spent the Day in Bed as it was an upbeat return to charts, loved by fans AND radio stations alike!

Mines is a battle of the long songs...

Life is a Pigsty v Southpaw, if you only had 10 minutes which of these two beauties would you listen to?
Edited by Reggie Peppery, Mon 25 Jun 2018, 19:13:04.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Southpaw

Because its just slightly better in every way. The instrumental outro is slightly too long but that's the only negative for the song. I rather like the lyrics. They were a return to the old school lyrics Morrissey used to write in The Smiths. I don't diss Life Is a Pigsty though. I even have a long remix of the song knocking around somewhere with Morrissey just singing "Life is a Pigsty" on a loop and a continuous rain sound effect placed onto it.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle vs My Love Life
Edited by DAVIE, Mon 25 Jun 2018, 21:00:15.

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

I have to chose The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, It’s time the tale was told is a great opening line, the lyrics are just ambiguous enough to leave everything to your own interpretation, and frankly nobody had heard anything quite like it when it was released! My Love Life wasn’t, for me, Morrisseys strongest song, good yes! Great? Perhaps! Genius? Not so much! Unfortunately that is the bar he has set himself and, on this occasion, it didn’t quite get there (for me anyway).

The ball is back in my court...Covers is the theme, Skin Storm vs That’s Entertainment.
Edited by Reggie Peppery, Tue 26 Jun 2018, 20:14:14.

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Skin Storm

Because I think Thats Entertainment wasn't too different from the original nor improved it...now if you said Golden Lights then that would have been a different story altogether ;-)

Thats How People Grow Up vs Hold Onto Your Friends
Edited by DAVIE, Tue 26 Jun 2018, 22:13:15.

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

That’s how people grow up, it’s starts of with ABH to the lugs (KY was ok in small doses, a song intro is about her strength), it is an upbeat musically but cleverly juxtaposed with somewhat downbeat lyrics - yet in the end it’s about counting your blessings, not licking your wounds, I love this song, a great wee pick me up classic Moz song!

Religious songs now...Dear God Please Help Me vs I Have Forgiven Jesus

mammaof3
Member Avatar

Reggie Peppery
Tue 26 Jun 2018, 22:23:24
That’s how people grow up, it’s starts of with ABH to the lugs (KY was ok in small doses, a song intro is about her strength), it is an upbeat musically but cleverly juxtaposed with somewhat downbeat lyrics - yet in the end it’s about counting your blessings, not licking your wounds, I love this song, a great wee pick me up classic Moz song!

Religious songs now...Dear God Please Help Me vs I Have Forgiven Jesus
I'll have to go with "Dear God Please Help Me"..... a beautiful song, and one that sounds so deeply personal. (Morrissey seems near tears when he sings it live.... and I'm pretty sure he's even cut it short in the past, unable to bring himself sing it?)

"Tomorrow" vs "Istanbul"

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Istanbul

I just think the lyrics are more poignant "give me back my brown eyed son" and there are the Eastern instruments that really give this Morrissey song a different feel. It's just really fresh and it's a little Eastern adventure of its own. It's my favourite song on World Peace by a mile and should have been in the top 10 singles. The musicians played brilliantly. Morrissey's voice is bloody brilliant.

We'll Let You Know vs Well I Wonder
Edited by DAVIE, Wed 27 Jun 2018, 10:00:42.

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Well I Wonder by a country mile...both songs are great, I don’t believe you have ever been in the situation of the protagonist who sings Well I Wonder Davie? if you had you would realise it is simply the emotions of the situation distilled into their essences! Powerful stuff!

I think I love you by David Cassidy is the only other song that nails the situation, I think it’s a Gay classic because of that!

Anyway back to me, the theme is the unhappiest days of your life, your schooldays...The Headmaster Ritual or The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils?

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Morrissey with or without The Smiths has never performed Well I Wonder live. It's about time he did!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha! I was going to rival those two songs too! Good minds think alike, Reggie.

My answer: The Headmasters Ritual

Not only does Johnny Marr compose a fantastic album opening track but Morrissey opens the album on its rebellious lyrics

"Belligerent ghouls
Run Manchester schools
Spineless swines
Cemented minds"

It's just a great opener. I think the later song just goes on for far too long and musically it doesn't really move me. It's odd because the songs in that year such as the singles and bsides were pretty song musically but a lot of the songs on Southpaw don't match up musically. I'm unsure why Morrissey decided to add the lyrics to the track or why he wished to retred old ground (maybe it was easy to do?). But school is a massive part of his mental upbringing - as it has with all of us! Welcome to the dog eat dog world.
Edited by DAVIE, Thu 28 Jun 2018, 05:20:35.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News & General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by Lokyr of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone.