Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to All You Need Is Morrissey.com. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting in topics, customising your profile, sending personal messages and voting in polls.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Works with real e-mail address.
Click here to join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Changes to the setlist...suggest three or four!
Topic Started: Thu 1 Mar 2018, 09:17:16 (789 Views)
Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Possibly you think the setlist is perfect? It is a matter of taste so who is to say? As for me, I think 3 or 4 changes and this tour goes down as his greatest ever!

The one rule is, since this is the LinHS tour, all those songs stay, you can juggle the order if you wish but I think it’s right and proper that they are, for this tour, sacrosanct!

You'll Be Gone
Suedehead
I Wish You Lonely
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
My Love, I'd Do Anything For You
The Bullfighter Dies
Munich Air Disaster 1958
When You Open Your Legs
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
I Bury The Living
Back On The Chain Gang
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Spent The Day In Bed
Jack The Ripper
Who Will Protect Us From The Police?
Hold On To Your Friends
Home Is A Question Mark
How Soon Is Now?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Speedway /
Irish Blood, English Heart
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

You'll Be Gone - This song’ll be gone gone if I had my way! The Queen is dead was recently reissued sparklng a lot of interest in Morrissey, perfect high energy starting song and great way to engage all present!
Suedehead
I Wish You Lonely
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
My Love, I'd Do Anything For You
The Bullfighter Dies
Munich Air Disaster 1958 - Gotta stay because it’s so poignant and apt, but really could do with a pick me up here! I’ll insert an energy boost right after...
Last of the Famous International Playboys
When You Open Your Legs
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
I Bury The Living
Back On The Chain Gang - No room for substandard cover songs on this tour! Gotta go! Replaced with...
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Spent The Day In Bed
Jack The Ripper
Who Will Protect Us From The Police?
Hold On To Your Friends
Home Is A Question Mark
How Soon Is Now?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Speedway /
Irish Blood, English Heart

Maladjusted1

I agree with losing "You'll Be Gone", especially as an opener. And "I Wish You Lonely", while better, still didn't have the "umph" of a proper opener. "Playboy" was another improvement last night, but the band didn't sound good on it. Jesse was buzz sawing like it was a heavy metal song, and where were the soaring keyboards from the original? Maybe it was a sudden decision and they didn't have time to properly rehearse it? I think MLIDAFY would be a great opener. It's raucous and rowdy, and is a smashing album opener, so why not a live opener? Also, being a new song, it would make more of an impression than it does being lost mid-set somewhere.

Then I'd get rid of is either "Bury the Living" or "Who Will Protect Us". They are both good songs, but don't come off well live, and are both so political and heavy, which can be a real energy killer. Plus, there are already so many LIHS songs in the set. So lose one or the other, but not both.

The other I'd get rid of is "WOINOYB". It's a great song, but he's played it to death live since it came out.

The additions would be that I would add "I Started Something" back in. He took it out for Brixton. Since it's only been played live this tour and, and it's a Smiths song everyone knows and would like to hear for themselves, plus it has an energetic pace, that should be a keeper for all shows.

The other addition I would include is something from both YOR and ROTT, both of which have been completely ignored this tour.

So, in summary, Dump You'll Be Gone for good, and dump either IBTL or WWPUFTP, and WPINOYB.
Move MLIDAFY to the opening slot, put ISSTICF back in, and add something from both YOR and ROTT.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

I think I have come to the conclusion that Morrissey concerts are going to be lower energy from here on in...Realistically I suppose I should not be looking for the energy of when he was 25 or 35 or even 45, he is, after all nearly 60. The raucous nights of the past have nowgone, the strength of the songs and lyrics will take the place of the raw energy and the raw emotion.
I am living in the past thinking that an adjustment here or there will turn things around energy wise, his voice is simply at its peak and his songbook is bulging with an embarrassment of riches, but the days of manhandling the crowd appear to be over...Yet, I cannot help but think, a Smiths reunion would energise everyone concerned, and bring back the good old days one more time!

TLDR: Moz is more or less 60, my expectations are unrealistic, more insightful and low tempo songs will be the order of the day from here on in!
Edited by Reggie Peppery, Fri 2 Mar 2018, 19:23:06.

Maladjusted1

Reggie, I don't know when the last time you saw him was, but from what I've seen live this tour and at other recent shows, he can still get an audience wrapped around his little finger, even at large venues. And while he has slowed down physically, the energy level of the shows is often still intense and the crowd very passionate. Sure, it's not like the early days, but still pretty impressive.

Over the 33 years that I've been seeing him live, his stage presence always changes with each new tour. Obviously he has mellowed with age. But many friends at the U.K. shows are calling them some of his best ever. So I think that his power is as strong now as ever, just in different ways.

Having said that, more attention to pacing and dynamics in his set list wouldn't hurt. But we all know that he plays exactly what he wants and doesn't have the same concerns as most musicians regarding audience favorites and the like. Would I like him to run through a set of my 20 favorite songs? Sure. But most of the time these days he doesn't play any, or maybe one or two, of my personal favorites. But that doesn't detract from the experience for me.

The setlist at any given show is likely more subject to criticism by folks don't see him all the time or aren't familiar with all his material. So they take it personally when they don't get to hear what they want. I'm not saying you've done that at all. Just saying that there is incessant kvetching about setlists all over social media, no matter what he does. Regardless of what he plays people are going to complain, so why not just play what he wants?

Regarding The Smiths, I gotta say I am one of "those" people who is firmly against a Smiths reunion and always have been. That's easy for me to say because I got to see them live back in the day. But even without that, I would still feel the same. I think it would be embarrassing and sad, and I would be truly disappointed in Moz, to put it mildly. He has absolutely no reason to do it, and he's made it clear he won't do it, so I don't understand why people still bring it up. I guess it's hard for long time fans to let go of the nostalgia? And maybe new fans who didn't get to see The Smiths feel cheated?

I personally let go of The Smiths the minute I heard Viva Hate, and have never looked back. They meant a great deal to me in my early youth, and I still listen to them every now and again. But they were of their time. For me, Morrissey's solo stuff has meant so very much more.

None of this is directed at you personally, Reggie. Just sharing my thoughts on some of the things you brought up. Sorry to be so long winded:)
Edited by Maladjusted1, Sat 3 Mar 2018, 01:00:54.

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Well I think we agree largely, I haven’t seen him for a couple of years, true! But if I’m honest then each time I see him the energy has diminished ever so slightly! It would be madness to think he could go on like a man of 30 forever- I think he does try 100% even to the point he makes himself ill but time leaves it mark!

The experience you, or I, or your friends has is, to a degree different from the average attendee - you know as well as I do that there are a large percentage of non hardcore fans there that don’t know a lot of the songs on this tour. I spoke to a couple who went to Glasgow and both were disappointed with the show to various degrees, he less than she, he knew more of the tracks played interesting to add, both felt it was low key and felt not much effort was made to bring the audience along (she was a big SNP fan and felt he lost a lot of the love of the audience at that point) These were two standing fans pretty near the front.

The setlist will never suit anyone, let alone everyone, but I think only in a parallel universe would “You’ll be Gone” be a suitable opener, if you are going to open with a cover I would ensure it had energy and / or that the crowd outside of the diehards knew the song. I think two low key second rate covers are not what your average Josephine paid £70 to hear.
Both people who went said they would not go to another concert, the guy has been to a fair few in the past, so had a frame of reference. I think that’s a bit sad when, with the inclusion of 3 or 4 more crowd pleasers they would have walked away happy.

The music is another issue, I think he needs to chop and change some of the musicians, frankly without Morrissey being such a powerful force more scrutiny is being paid to the musicians, a couple of whom don’t stand up to the scrutiny. Yes I personally believe only Johnny Marr could turn this ship around, but in reality it doesn’t require turning around, with a few tweaks to the setlist, a couple of changes of personnel I do believe this could be one hell of a tour!
His voice has now taken centre stage, it is incredible, I always rated Morrissey as a great, possibily the greatest singer slash songwriter- but not necessarily the greatest singer if you follow..Now I’m reassessing my view, who is singing better that Moz at the moment?

TLDR
Moz gives 100% but is aging like the rest of us,
Edited by Reggie Peppery, Sat 3 Mar 2018, 06:33:26.

Maladjusted1

Well, yes, we do agree on much for sure. I forget that not everyone is as big a fan and concert goer as some of us. You're probably right that most aren't. I wonder if he thinks of that, and if he chooses to play to the "real" fans who love and know all of his output, or if he thinks that throwing out a lot of stuff that's unfamiliar most might convert some new fans? Or if, as I suspect and as he's said, he just arranges the setlist around what he wants to sing. The inclusion of "If You Don't Like Me" on this UK leg - not a bad song but not one of his best IMO - makes me think maybe he's more concerned these days about the messaging than the artistry. And that maybe he's telling non-hardcore fans, or the media, or fans who have bailed, to f*ck off. It would be far from the first time, and likely far from the last. Then there was those "No One Likes Us, We Don't Care" shirts the band wore. Definitely sending a message to the press, but is that also a flipping of any haters or fair weather fans? It's just a curious point in considering what his agenda is in choosing songs. Of course, we'll never know.

Some times I think it matters a great deal to him what fans think, and how many records and concert tickets he sells. But in another ways, phim doing what he likes regardless is part of his charm to the hardcore of us, and I think he knows that, as well. It's all very interesting to watch, both live and through social media. I'm curious to see where it goes from here.
Edited by Maladjusted1, Sat 3 Mar 2018, 22:52:24.

Maladjusted1

Reggie - He played All You Need Is Me in Brighton! Maybe he IS checking this page and taking our suggestions, 😉

Seriously, I think this is a great addition. Upbeat and rocking, and it fits with his messaging now more than ever.
Edited by Maladjusted1, Sun 4 Mar 2018, 00:19:31.

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Love the changes! Last of the Famous is a great opener, If you don’t like me is a great energy booster with a perennial message!
The pacing needed a bit of changing, I felt 3 changes would turn the gig experience around for many of the more ‘casual’ fans, I’m glad 2 have happened already, who knows what he has or already had planned for the upcoming gigs.

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Whoops. Songs have to stay? Ah well. There was me changing the whole setlist. What a rebel I am.
Edited by DAVIE, Thu 8 Mar 2018, 01:02:59.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · There's More to Life Than..... · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by Lokyr of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone.