Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to All You Need Is Morrissey.com. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting in topics, customising your profile, sending personal messages and voting in polls.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Works with real e-mail address.
Click here to join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Misheard Morrissey Lyrics
Topic Started: Mon 19 Feb 2018, 20:36:12 (1,026 Views)
Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Have you, like me, sang the wrong words to a Amiths song or Morrissey song for years? I have to admit my faux pas was on the beautiful song ‘Half a Person’, in fairness to me I would have recorded this off the vinyl and listened on a poor quality cassette Walkman with really, really bad quality headphones...

For many years I thought the lyrics were...

She was left behind, and sad
And she wrote to me equally down

When they are of course...

She was left behind, and sour
And she wrote to me equally dour

I can’t be the only one! Confess up!

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Iamborn1

Trudging slowly over Westham
Back to the bench where your subs were chosen

I had been watching far too much football lol
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

“West Ham ‘Innit!” Cor blimey it’s bleedin’ obvious he's singing West Ham”, “of course he is you silly old moo!” The song clearly goes “Trudging slowly over Westham!” Not as bloody slowly as our defenders mind you, bloody snails go faster than our defence, innit marvellous, innit bloody marvellous, he writes one song about West Ham and it’s about how bloody slow our defence is, and who to pull off as the next sub!

Best read as Alf Garnet
Edited by Reggie Peppery, Mon 19 Feb 2018, 21:56:17.

Iamborn1

Having a laugh about Alf yes that is my generation too unfortunately

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

I think people who remember Alf Garnet are in the minority now! I was going to post a video clip but unless you understand what you are seeing it may look quite homophobic or racist so I’d best not!

Chas ‘n’ Dave did a great theme song, this is the tune they wrote after Dandie Nichols had passed...

Maladjusted1

Iamborn1 - Is there really any such thing as too much football? I think not:)

As far as Morrissey lyrics go, if folks here don't already know, there is a website called Passions Just Like Mine that has extremely detailed info on all Morrissey and Smiths lyrics. There are also very detailed listings of every tour, set list info, etc. Check it out if you haven't. Its a gold mine.

I've always been grateful that Moz has so often included the lyrics in the packaging. I assume that's because he's proud of his writing, and rightfully so:)

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

Yes I am a big fan of PJLM website, I was sooo pleased when Stephane brought it back from the dead a few years back!!! Great site for finding out the lyrics or alternative lyrics from live tours or early demos.
One song that I’m pretty sure Stephane has heard was an early demo version of “paint a vulgar picture” that hasn’t leaked yet, the one that asks “if you were so popular why your body laid for seven days” unless I have misremembered Stephane discussed this recording a long time ago, yet the lyrics have never been added to that song!

Another rarity we all eagerly await!

Maladjusted1

Ooooo, I hadn't heard about that, Reggie. Very interesting. It's exiting to think that there is still something out there we haven't heard!

Iamborn1

Iamborn1 - Is there really any such thing as too much football? I think not:)

Agreed the Wigan game for example was an excellent result (should be the Chinese New Year of the under dog)

Maladjusted1

Iamborn1 - Oh, I must disagree about the Wigan game. City and Spurs have been my teams for decades (one from each of my two favorite cities). While us City fans were used to losing for such a long time, these days it's a shock and very depressing. We'll make up for it today, I'm sure.

Who do you like in the PL?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · There's More to Life Than..... · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by Lokyr of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone.