Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to All You Need Is Morrissey.com. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting in topics, customising your profile, sending personal messages and voting in polls.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Works with real e-mail address.
Click here to join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do You Think Earth Could Combat An Asteroid Collision Successfully?
Yes 1 (100%)
No 0 (0%)
The Aliens Will Do It! 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 1
Asteroid Collisions
Topic Started: Sun 31 Dec 2017, 11:50:51 (242 Views)
DAVIE
Member Avatar

What do you think the world would do if faced with an oncoming asteroid collision?
Imagine if the asteroid was destined to bring extinction to most life on Earth...

I personally think we already have the technology to deal with such events. Most of which will be held top secret by the richest states of the world. We already have hundreds (maybe thousands) of people and companies tracking NEO's so I expect we already have Governmental protocols, even if NASA has said that we have no such plans in place. With nuclear weapons up to our eyeballs on this planet and with the US and Russia having the most, you would think they would be able to get away with firing quite a few at the target. We also have laser techniques and I do wonder whether a massive laser cannon has already been developed to literally obliterate such an outer space object. I have also been reading on using gravity and other objects to sway some NEO's, but I don't think you could move a 2-mile-a-second moving object fairly quickly.

It's also a shame the US didn't get this project off the ground to help, but perhaps it wasn't worth the money with the amount of people and companies they already employ to do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Space_Telescope
Edited by DAVIE, Mon 15 Jan 2018, 21:33:15.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · There's More to Life Than..... · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme created by Lokyr of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone.