Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to All You Need Is Morrissey.com. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting in topics, customising your profile, sending personal messages and voting in polls.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Works with real e-mail address.
Click here to join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Queen is Dead out today 16 June 2017
Topic Started: Fri 16 Jun 2017, 19:48:13 (599 Views)
goinghome
Member Avatar

There are apparently a few versions in the shops but "the 7″ version comes with the B-side “I Keep Mine Hidden,” which is taken from the 1987 cassette release of “Girlfriend In a Coma” and allegedly the last Smiths song ever recorded."

Nice! http://www.spin.com/2017/06/the-smiths-the-queen-is-dead-single-reissues/

Anyone pick up a copy? The event was more whispered than cried.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DAVIE
Member Avatar

Didn't hear a thing about it and Morrissey musn't have received a penny if he hasn't even mentioned it...
Edited by DAVIE, Fri 16 Jun 2017, 20:30:11.

goinghome
Member Avatar

Yes, it's odd, and hard to know what's going on.
The Smiths Official facebook page announced the TQID release again today with pictures -
https://www.facebook.com/TheSmithsOfficial/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

But wait! I've found a seemingly more illuminating announcement:
"Warners have today issued a 12-inch vinyl and seven-inch picture disc of The Queen is Dead, the title track of The Smiths‘ 1986 album.

The release (which marks 31 years to the day that the album was released) was deliberately kept low-key with retailers, who were encouraged not to publicise it in advance. The two versions of the single are not available online and [super deluxe edition] SDE’s understanding was that these were for independent record stores only, although that appears not to be the case because HMV are selling them..." - http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-smiths-the-queen-is-dead-issued-as-anniversary-12-inch-and-7-inch-single/

So the release was 'deliberately kept low-key.' Hmmm.
Edited by goinghome, Fri 16 Jun 2017, 20:56:54.

JoanOfArc
Member Avatar

I hope Morrissey approves.Anyway ive just read it on twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SamEstyRayner/status/876055667836145665

mammaof3
Member Avatar

via facebook:

Morrissey Official
13 mins ·

In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

Limited To One Copy Per Customer.

not unlike a Smoking Will Seriously Damage Your Health warning.

This sticker was not requested by ​t​he Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions ​may ​apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

Freud: "There is no such thing as an accident."

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies ​of The Queen is Dead ​a​t HMV as​ you ​desire.​

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017.

Posted Image

Reggie Peppery
Member Avatar

I'm afraid it is a case of 'God save the Queen' again, where the industry will do anything legal or illegal to keep the track off of number one...

I have to say this is why Britain would be a far better place with The Smiths in there mixing it up, 31 years on and they are still considered dangerous, 31 years after God Save the Queen came out it was FUEL at record stores (filed under easy listening).

JoanOfArc
Member Avatar

mammaof3
Sat 17 Jun 2017, 19:03:54
via facebook:

Morrissey Official
13 mins ·

In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

Limited To One Copy Per Customer.

not unlike a Smoking Will Seriously Damage Your Health warning.

This sticker was not requested by ​t​he Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions ​may ​apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies ​of The Queen is Dead ​a​t HMV as​ you ​desire.​

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017.
Aaaa so Morrissey didnt request it. What a sneaky, underhanded way to hurt sales.Because sometimes you send 1person to buy for others coz they cant come or you want to buy 2 or 3 as gifts-this sticker makes it difficult to do it. I bet horrible albums by lady gaga or katy perry dont have stickers.

JoanOfArc
Member Avatar

Also: Morrissey quoting Freud - 2geniuses.

And:
"If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit"
Lololol!:):) I dont have a nurse outfit but I can borrow one from my best friend :D .However I will buy "The Queen Is Dead" on Allegro site -probably only there I will find it in Poland).
Edited by JoanOfArc, Sun 18 Jun 2017, 09:49:00.

Troublemaker's Dad

And that photo tells you all you need to know about HMV pricing policy.

"Make it up as you go along, and rip 'em off if possible."

Years ago me & PT assembled a complete collection of Tom Waits' albums "on the cheap", thanks to HMV cretins mislabelling the prices. Among all the £14.99s, there was always a £4.99.

HMV is the only "large" record store where we live, and every visit it gets harder to actually find the music section.

But I knew my nurse outfit would come in handy one day!

TD xx

goinghome
Member Avatar

This record was released by surprise. High-quality limited edition? The hypothesis that there was reluctance to sell is interesting. Btw, Freud is only half or quarter, or less, of a genius. His ego translated into theory, wreaked havoc. Mentioning Freud in relation to this song does seem apt though.

At number 4 in the charts, The Queen Is Dead fares superbly well 31 years later. Congratulations to The Smiths!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News & General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by Lokyr of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone.